In 1919 Joseph A. “Proky” Prokopovitsh, along with his father, John, moved from the hard coal county of Scranton, Pennsylvania to the Steel Valley to open the Joseph A. Prokopovitsh Funeral Home. The first funeral home was a store front on the corner of 5th Avenue and Dickson Streets in the 5th Ward of Munhall.
In those days, visitation took place in the home of the deceased. With expansion of the steel mills around 1940, the 5th Ward gave way to progress and Proky was forced to move the business to the corner of 9th Avenue and Dickson Streets. After World War II, his son-in-law, Albert J. Savolskis, a Navy veteran, joined the business. Proky continued his fine tradition of helping families until his death in 1988.
In 1965, the St. Therese Church at the corner of Main and Superior Streets in Munhall was dismantled to make way for the Savolskis Funeral Chapel.
The funeral home was built on the original foundation of the dismantled church building. It was the first funeral home of its kind in the Steel Valley, and was built from the ground up with the sole purpose of being a funeral home. Conveniences such as handicap accessibility, wider doorways and off street parking were attractive features in the new building.